Saturday, April 5, 2008

United Arab Emirates

I spent Spring Break in Abu Dhabi, with my parents who flew from Romania to be with me. I am amazed by the ability of a country to transform itself from a desert into a thriving economy in such a short amount of time! And even so, I find myself enjoying everything that connects with the past more than the overwhelmingly high skyscrapers and luxurious malls. So, what I loved most were the new mosque in Abu Dhabi, which is built of white marble. in traditional Islamic style, my desert safari, and my camel ride. I appreciate, though, the country's effort to blend modernity and tradition, and to accept people's different preferences. I saw women covered completely in black (including their eyes), buying the most expensive and colorful silks. I saw young women expressing their beauty through wearing designer glasses and long, black abbayas decorated with beads and precious stones. It is definitely a fascinating world, in constant motion, and there is a lot to learn from their success.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ralu! What a joy it is to know you and follow through your journey of success! I wish I could do it more often but for the times that you don't see coments from me, know that I'm thinking about you - because I do so often! I pray for your safety & success in all you do! Always remember that someone in Texas loves you & admires what you do! Nzembi